1st Annual Laguna del Lagarto Lodge Nature Photography Tournament
Official Rules 2017-2018 (Ver 6-2)
The Tournament will begin on December 1, 2017 and end at midnight on April 30, 2018.
The Tournament is open to all photographers (both professional and amateur) who visit the Laguna del Lagarto Lodge anytime during the Tournament Period (December 1, 2017 thru April 30, 2018). All images submitted to the Tournament must have been taken on the Laguna del Lagarto Lodge Property during the official Tournament Period. Photographers may enter as many images as they like at a cost of $10 per image.
How to Register:
1. All registrations will be completed through the Images for Conservation Fund (ICF) Website at www.imagesforconservation.org.
2. Photographers may submit images, via www.imagesforconseration.org, any time during the Tournament, but no later than midnight, May 20, 2018.
Camera | Image Capture Requirements:
All cameras must be digital. Images must be created in RAW format when available. If the camera does not offer RAW format, the camera must be set on the highest quality JPEG offered. [We recommend that you set your camera’s image capture format to RAW + HiRes JPEG to ensure the most compatibility with your image processing software.]
All images submitted to the tournament must include metadata that has the date and time of image capture. [Remember to ensure that your camera’s date and time is current and accurate prior to your arrival at the Lagarto Lodge.] This will allow the judges to insure the images were taken during the official Tournament period. Images without proper metadata may be disqualified.
Main Divisions | Competition Categories: All Images must be composed of wildlife, plants, and/or landscapes found on the Lagarto Lodge Property represented by the following 5 Divisions:
3. Reptiles, Amphibians & Fish
4. Invertebrates such as Insects, Arachnids & Arthropods
5. Landscapes, Plants & Flowers
Special Divisions | Competition Categories:
Rarest Image – The “rarest” or “most unusual sighting or behavior” captured during the Tournament. One overall winning image will be selected for this category from all Main Divisions Tournament entries and it will receive a $100 cash prize. No additional entry fee is required for this category.
Best Cell Phone Image – Each participant can enter up to 3 cell phone images (in Total) taken during their stay at the Lagarto Lodge. Judges will select one overall winning image in this category and it will receive a $50 cash prize. No additional entry fee is required for this category. Note images from this category will NOT be considered for Main Division or Rarest Image prizes.
Treatment of Animals: ICF requires all Participants to use extreme caution to protect the health and survival of the subjects being photographed.
- Any images of wildlife species that all three judges agree look stressed will be disqualified.
- Images of animals subjected to restraint of any kind shall be labeled as controlled subjects as part of the submission. This will not reduce any scores unless the subject is obviously stressed.
- No Mammals may be captured or physically restrained in any form or fashion.
- No artificial freezing or cooling of any animal is allowed.
- If a restrained subject is dangerous to humans, it must be released where the risk to humans is minimized.
- All Images submitted must be of living animals; no stuffed animals or artificial plants.
Image Processing: Color images only. No digital composites, or black and white conversions, or panoramic composite photos are allowed. Digital manipulation is only acceptable if limited to cleaning (dust spots), levels, curves, color, saturation and contrast work. Compositing and multiple exposures are not allowed. As part of this event is creating (and documenting) a visual inventory of the biodiversity of Lagarto Lodge, all images should accurately reflect the subject matter or scene as it appeared.
Other than by cropping (see below) no element (aside from dust spots mentioned above) may be removed from an image (for example: you may not remove a misplaced tree branch, or an inconveniently placed rock). No images may be altered. All decisions made by the Judges and Tournament organizers regarding the acceptability of an image are final.
Cropping shall not exceed more than 25% of the width and height of the original RAW or high resolution JPEG file while maintaining the camera’s original image proportion or aspect ratio (generally 2:3 for most DSLRs). Cropping must be done IN RATIO. For instance, do not crop a horizontal image into a square format. If the Judges deem that an image has been cropped too significantly or that the final image quality or resolution has been compromised, the image may be disqualified.
Cropping Example: Let’s assume the camera’s original RAW file (or high resolution JPEG) dimensions are 12 inches by 18 inches at 300 dpi. To calculate the maximum crop allowed for this image multiply both the length and width of your image by 0.75. For instance, 12 x 0.75 (equals 9) and 18 x 0.75 (equals 13.5), thus the smallest size you can crop your original image to is 9 inches by 13.5 inches at 300 dpi. Note by multiplying both the length and width by 0.75, you’ve maintained the original aspect ratio of your image. Also note that this is the maximum crop allowed. You are not required to crop the full 25%, you are welcome to crop less (or not at all) as long as you maintain the original aspect ratio.
-Each photographer may enter as many images as they like at a cost of $10 per image.
-And/Or a group of 20 images at a reduced cost of $150.
Important Note: To compete for the Grand Prize – Laguna del Lagarto Lodge Nature Photographer of the Year a photographer must submit a portfolio of at least 20 images.
How to Submit Images:
- All images submitted for judging must be received through the ICF website: imagesforconservation.org
- By entering the Tournament, each photographer accepts the rules as stated and guarantees that all the information provided is correct and truthful. Entries not accurately represented or not abiding by Tournament rules will be disqualified. Refunds will not be given in case of disqualification.
- All image submissions uploaded to the website must be JPEG files sized to 1024 pixels on the longest side (For example: 683 pixels high by 1024 pixels wide if the camera has a standard DSLR 2:3 aspect ratio.) JPEGs should not exceed 1MB in file size. (If necessary, please reduce JPEG quality so file size is less than 1MB.)
- Tournament officials will request original RAW files (or original high resolution JPEG files) and processed (edited) high resolution JPEGs for all images that make the final round of judging. When requested, the source images must be provided within 7 days of notification or the contending image may be disqualified. Details on how to submit original source files online will be provided at time of request.
- To ensure anonymity in judging, images may not contain and watermarks, logos, text, or identifying marks of the photographer. Please do NOT include your name in the filenames of images you submit for judging. ( NOTE: Your name or copyright in image metadata is fine.)
- All images submitted to the Tournament must have been taken on the Laguna del Lagarto Lodge Property during the official tournament period (December 1, 2017 thru April 30, 2018). The Lagarto Lodge Property includes: Lagarto Lodge grounds, rainforest and lagoon areas, the frontage road, all photo blinds, and Aldolfo’s Garden. Any ruling by Tournament officials on what constitutes Lagarto Lodge Property will be final.
- You may submit images any time during the Tournament, but no later than midnight, May 20, 2018.
Tournament entrant must be the creator of the submitted image, and owner of the copyright for every image submitted. Copyright remains with the photographer. By submitting images for judging, photographers agree to grant Images for Conservation Fund, Laguna del Lagarto Lodge, the Tournament, and its Sponsors an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide non-exclusive license to use, publish, and reproduce their images for promotion, sale and display purposes including, but not limited to:
- Promotion of future tournaments at Laguna del Lagarto Lodge
- Fundraising for native habitat restoration and reforestation at the Laguna del Lagarto Lodge and surrounding areas.
- Creation of Lagarto Lodge Photography Exhibits, Books, Apps, Calendars or other publications
Every effort will be made to give the photographer appropriate photo credit when an image is used.
If applicable, photographers are responsible for obtaining model releases from any individual who appears in a submitted photo (or if the individual is under age 18 from their parent/legal guardian). Images without proper release may be disqualified.
Images will be judged anonymously by judges experienced in the field of nature and wildlife photography. Scores are based on originality, composition, technical quality, and overall impact. All decisions made by the Judges and Tournament officials are final.
Entry Fee Allocations:
Entry fee proceeds will be distributed as follows:
· 25% will be paid out in prizes.
· 25% will go toward native habitat restoration and reforestation at the Laguna del Lagarto and surrounding areas.
· 50% will go to Images for Conservation Fund
Main Divisions Prize Categories:
Grand Prize Winner: The Laguna del Lagarto Lodge Nature Photographer of the Year. The Grand Prize winner will be determined based on the best average score for a given portfolio of 20 images or more. For portfolios over 20 images, the average score will be calculated based on each photographer’s highest scoring 20 images
First, Second & Third Place Winners will also be awarded in each of the 5 Main Divisions based on the highest scoring individual images per category. Prize money will be divided equally among the participants with the same final scores
Main Division Prize Money Allocation:
· (One) Grand Prize: Laguna del Lagarto Lodge Nature Photographer of the Year will receive 25% of the Prize Money
· (Five) 1st Place Division Winners will share 50% of the Prize Money
· (Five) 2nd Place Division Winners will share 25% of the Prize Money
· (Five) 3rd Place Division Winners will receive a prize from our Sponsors (TBD)
Special Division Prize Categories:
Rarest Image: (One) Overall winner will receive $100
Best Cell Phone Image: (One) Overall winner will receive $50
Special Grand Prize:
The Grand Prize Winner Laguna del Lagarto Lodge Nature Photographer of the Year will also receive a free 3-night stay at Laguna del Lagarto Lodge (for two, double occupancy) including meals and photo settings. Does not include airfare, transportation to lodge, beverages, tips, or other incidentals. Dates subject to availability.
Selected winning images will be featured in a gallery on the Images for Conservation Fund website and in various social media outlets. An exhibition of winning images will also be planned in Costa Rica (location TBD) and at the Laguna del Lagarto Lodge.
Additionally, selected winning images will also be featured in Wildlife Photographic magazine. Wildlife Photographic is a magazine dedicated to wildlife photography and is distributed internationally in Apple’s Newsstand (http://bit.ly/1aKP3qR) and in the Google Play Marketplace (http://bit.ly/1JOhMcW).
Special Monthly Winner Competition: Each photographer who stayed at the Laguna del Lagarto Lodge during the Tournament Period may submit up to two images per month (free) in the Monthly Winner Competition. Winners will be announced for each month that more than two participants have submitted images. One winning image will be selected each month and the winner will receive a prize from our Sponsors (TBD). The winning images will also be shared through various social media outlets. Important Note: Entering an image in the Monthly Winner Competition does NOT enter your image in the main Tournament. This is a totally separate contest. If you want to include your Monthly Winner submissions in the main Tournament you will have to re-submit with your final Tournament portfolio.
For Questions on Tournament Rules: Contact Bill Gozansky, Tournament Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or John Martin, Tournament Chairman, at email@example.com.