The 3rd Annual Laguna del Lagarto Eco-Lodge Nature Photography Tournament is a fundraising and conservation event created by Images for Conservation Fund and the Laguna del Lagarto Eco-Lodge to communicate the great diversity and majesty of wildlife living on the 665 acres of virgin tropical rainforest in Northern Costa Rica. The Tournament is open to all photographers who would like to participate knowing that their images and fees will be used to help preserve one of the most biodiverse tracts of habitat in Costa Rica. Conservation efforts will be made through native habitat restoration and environmental education through youth photography workshops in the Lagarto Eco-Lodge area.
The Tournament will begin on November 1, 2019 and end at midnight on May 31, 2021.
Due to the impact of the COVID-19 global pandemic we have extended the Tournament Deadline to May 31, 2021. Additionally, we have designated that conservation proceeds from the Tournament will now go to assist the Lagarto Eco-Lodge staff to help with the disruptions caused by the global pandemic. These are unprecedented times for both eco-lodges and their employees throughout Costa Rica (and the rest of the world). Your participation in the Tournament will directly help those impacted by the effects of the global pandemic in the Boca Tapada community.
The Tournament is open to all photographers (both professional and amateur) who visit the Laguna del Lagarto Eco-Lodge anytime during the Tournament Period (November 1, 2019 thru May 31, 2021). All images submitted to the Tournament must have been taken on the Laguna del Lagarto Eco-Lodge Property during the official Tournament Period. Photographers may enter as many images as they like at a cost of $10 per image.
How to Register:
1. All registrations will be completed through the Images for Conservation Fund (ICF) Website at www.imagesforconservation.org.
2. Photographers may submit images, via www.imagesforconservation.org, any time during the Tournament, but no later than midnight, June 30, 2021.
-Each photographer may enter as many images as they like at a cost of $10 per image.
-And/Or a group(s) of 15 images at a reduced cost of $100.
Important Note: To compete for the Grand Prize – Laguna del Lagarto Eco-Lodge Nature Photographer of the Year a photographer must submit a portfolio of at least 15 images.
Special Incentive for submissions received by June 30, 2020 – Anyone who submits a group of 15 images prior to June 30, 2020 will receive a special 50% discount on a second portfolio submission (thus $50 for 15 images) that can be used any time prior to the June 30, 2021 deadline. This means you can submit a second set of images from any visit to the Lagarto Eco-Lodge between November 1, 2019 and the new May 31, 2021 deadline at the discounted price.
How to Submit Images:
- All images submitted for judging must be received through the ICF website: imagesforconservation.org
- By entering the Tournament, each photographer accepts the rules as stated and guarantees that all the information provided is correct and truthful. Entries not accurately represented or not abiding by Tournament rules will be disqualified. Refunds will not be given in case of disqualification.
- Please read Rules on cropping and image editing carefully.
- All image submissions uploaded to the website must be JPEG files sized to 1024 pixels on the longest side (For example: 683 pixels high by 1024 pixels wide if the camera has a standard DSLR 2:3 aspect ratio.) JPEGs should be around 1MB in file size. (Files larger than 3MB will not be accepted. If necessary, please reduce JPEG quality so file size closer is closer to 1MB.)
- Tournament officials will request original RAW files (or original high resolution JPEG files) and processed (edited) high resolution JPEGs for all images that make the final round of judging. When requested, the source images must be provided within 7 days of notification or the contending image may be disqualified. Details on how to submit original source files online will be provided at time of request.
- To ensure anonymity in judging, images may not contain watermarks, logos, text, or identifying marks of the photographer. Please do NOT include your name in the filenames of images you submit for judging. (Note: Your name or copyright in image metadata is fine.)
- All images submitted to the Tournament must have been taken on the Laguna del Lagarto Eco-Lodge Property during the official tournament period (November 1, 2019 thru May 31, 2021). The Lagarto Eco-Lodge Property includes: Lagarto Eco-Lodge grounds, rainforest and lagoon areas, the frontage road, all photo blinds, Aldolfo’s Garden and Henry’s Garden. Any ruling by Tournament officials on what constitutes Lagarto Eco-Lodge Property will be final.
- You may submit images any time during the Tournament, but no later than midnight, June 30, 2021.
Main Divisions Prize Categories:
Grand Prize Winner: The Laguna del Lagarto Eco-Lodge Nature Photographer of the Year. The Grand Prize winner will be determined based on the best total score for a given portfolio of 15 images or more. For portfolios over 15 images, the portfolio’s score will be calculated based on each photographer’s highest scoring 15 images.
First, Second & Third Place Winners will also be awarded in each of the 5 Main Divisions based on the highest scoring individual images per category. If there is a tie, prize money will be divided equally among the participants with the same final scores.
Main Division Prize Money Allocation:
- (One) Grand Prize: Laguna del Lagarto Eco-Lodge Nature Photographer of the Year will receive $1,000 USD, their name engraved on the commemorative Bronze Toucan Trophy AND a free 3-night stay at Laguna del Lagarto Eco-Lodge (for two, double occupancy) including meals and photo settings. Does not include airfare, transportation to Eco-Lodge, beverages, tips, or other incidentals. Dates subject to availability.
- (Five) 1st Place Division Winners will share 50% of the Prize Money
- (Five) 2nd Place Division Winners will share 30% of the Prize Money
- (Five) 3rd Place Division Winners will share 20% of the Prize Money
Special Division Prize Categories:
- Rarest Image: (One) Overall winner will receive $75
- Most Unusual Behavior Image: (One) Overall winner will receive $75
Selected winning images will be featured in a gallery on the Images for Conservation Fund website and in various social media outlets. An exhibition of winning images will also be planned in Costa Rica (location TBD) and at the Laguna del Lagarto Eco-Lodge.
Additionally, selected winning images will also be featured in Wildlife Photographic magazine. Wildlife Photographic is a magazine dedicated to wildlife photography and is distributed internationally in Apple’s Newsstand (http://bit.ly/1aKP3qR) and in the Google Play Marketplace (http://bit.ly/1JOhMcW).
Special Monthly Winner Competition:
The Special Monthly Competition will be extended through May 31, 2021 on account of the COVID-19 global pandemic. Additionally, please note that monthly winners will be selected through May 2020 and then will resume again for November 2020 through May 2021.
Each photographer who visits the Laguna del Lagarto Eco-Lodge during the Tournament Period may submit up to two images per month (free) in the Monthly Winner Competition. Winners will be announced for each month that more than two participants have submitted images. One winning image will be selected each month and the winner will receive a free entry into the main Tournament for their Monthly Winner (or an image of their choice). The winning images will also be shared through various social media outlets. Important Note: Entering an image in the Monthly Winner Competition does NOT enter your image in the main Tournament. This is a totally separate contest. If you want to include your Monthly Winner submissions in the main Tournament you will have to re-submit with your final Tournament portfolio.
For Questions on Tournament Rules: Contact Bill Gozansky, Tournament Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or John Martin, Tournament Chairman, at email@example.com.