The 1st Annual Laguna del Lagarto Lodge Nature Photography Tournament is a fundraising and conservation event created by Images for Conservation Fund and the Laguna del Lagarto Lodge to communicate the great diversity and majesty of wildlife living on the 1,250 acres of virgin tropical rainforest in Northern Costa Rica. The Tournament is open to all photographers who would like to participate knowing that their images and fees will be used to help preserve one of the most biodiverse tracts of habitat in Costa Rica. One of the primary purposes of the Tournament is to raise funds for native habitat restoration and reforestation that is necessary due to the damaging effects of Hurricane Otto.
The Tournament will begin on December 1, 2017 and end at midnight on April 30, 2018.
The Tournament is open to all photographers (both professional and amateur) who visit the Laguna del Lagarto Lodge anytime during the Tournament Period (December 1, 2017 thru April 30, 2018). All images submitted to the Tournament must have been taken on the Laguna del Lagarto Lodge Property during the official Tournament Period. Photographers may enter as many images as they like at a cost of $10 per image.
How to Register:
1. All registrations will be completed here through the Images for Conservation Fund (ICF) Website.
2. Photographers may submit images, via www.imagesforconseration.org, any time during the Tournament, but no later than midnight, May 20, 2018.
-Each photographer may enter as many images as they like at a cost of $10 per image.
-And/Or a group of 20 images at a reduced cost of $150.
Important Note: To compete for the Grand Prize – Laguna del Lagarto Lodge Nature Photographer of the Year a photographer must submit a portfolio of at least 20 images.
How to Submit Images:
- All images submitted for judging must be received through the ICF website: imagesforconservation.org
- By entering the Tournament, each photographer accepts the rules as stated and guarantees that all the information provided is correct and truthful. Entries not accurately represented or not abiding by Tournament rules will be disqualified. Refunds will not be given in case of disqualification.
- All image submissions uploaded to the website must be JPEG files sized to 1024 pixels on the longest side (For example: 683 pixels high by 1024 pixels wide if the camera has a standard DSLR 2:3 aspect ratio.) JPEGs should not exceed 1MB in file size. (If necessary, please reduce JPEG quality so file size is less than 1MB.)
- Tournament officials will request original RAW files (or original high resolution JPEG files) and processed (edited) high resolution JPEGs for all images that make the final round of judging. When requested, the source images must be provided within 7 days of notification or the contending image may be disqualified. Details on how to submit original source files online will be provided at time of request.
- To ensure anonymity in judging, images may not contain and watermarks, logos, text, or identifying marks of the photographer. Please do NOT include your name in the filenames of images you submit for judging. (Note: Your name or copyright in image metadata is fine.)
- All images submitted to the Tournament must have been taken on the Laguna del Lagarto Lodge Property during the official tournament period (December 1, 2017 thru April 30, 2018). The Lagarto Lodge Property includes: Lagarto Lodge grounds, rainforest and lagoon areas, the frontage road, all photo blinds, and Aldolfo’s Garden. Any ruling by Tournament officials on what constitutes Lagarto Lodge Property will be final.
- You may submit images any time during the Tournament, but no later than midnight, May 20, 2018.
Main Divisions Prize Categories:
Grand Prize Winner: The Laguna del Lagarto Lodge Nature Photographer of the Year. The Grand Prize winner will be determined based on the best average score for a given portfolio of 20 images or more. For portfolios over 20 images, the average score will be calculated based on each photographer’s highest scoring 20 images.
First, Second & Third Place Winners will also be awarded in each of the 5 Main Divisions based on the highest scoring individual images per category. Prize money will be divided equally among the participants with the same final scores.
Main Division Prize Money Allocation:
• (One) Grand Prize: Laguna del Lagarto Lodge Nature Photographer of the Year will receive 25% of the Prize Money
• (Five) 1st Place Division Winners will share 50% of the Prize Money
• (Five) 2nd Place Division Winners will share 25% of the Prize Money
• (Five) 3rd Place Division Winners will receive a prize from our Sponsors (TBD)
Special Division Prize Categories:
Rarest Image: (One) Overall winner will receive $100
Best Cell Phone Image: (One) Overall winner will receive $50
Special Grand Prize:
The Grand Prize Winner Laguna del Lagarto Lodge Nature Photographer of the Year will also receive a free 3-night stay at Laguna del Lagarto Lodge (for two, double occupancy) including meals and photo settings. Does not include airfare, transportation to lodge, beverages, tips, or other incidentals. Dates subject to availability.
Selected winning images will be featured in a gallery on the Images for Conservation Fund website and in various social media outlets. An exhibition of winning images will also be planned in Costa Rica (location TBD) and at the Laguna del Lagarto Lodge.
Additionally, selected winning images will also be featured in Wildlife Photographic magazine. Wildlife Photographic is a magazine dedicated to wildlife photography and is distributed internationally in Apple’s Newsstand (http://bit.ly/1aKP3qR) and in the Google Play Marketplace (http://bit.ly/1JOhMcW).
Special Monthly Winner Competition:
Each photographer who stayed at the Laguna del Lagarto Lodge during the Tournament Period may submit up to two images per month (free) in the Monthly Winner Competition. Winners will be announced for each month that more than two participants have submitted images. One winning image will be selected each month and the winner will receive a prize from our Sponsors (TBD). The winning images will also be shared through various social media outlets. Important Note: Entering an image in the Monthly Winner Competition does NOT enter your image in the main Tournament. This is a totally separate contest. If you want to include your Monthly Winner submissions in the main Tournament you will have to re-submit with your final Tournament portfolio.
For Questions on Tournament Rules: Contact Bill Gozansky, Tournament Director, at email@example.com or John Martin, Tournament Chairman, at firstname.lastname@example.org.